Important Notice to Homeowners Regarding FEMA Hazard Mitigation Program Assistance
Risk Reduction Plus Flood and Mitigation Outreach Webinar
Thursday April 14, 2022 6:00pm
FEMA concerning the FEMA Hazard Mitigation Program. The information shown below pertaining to this program is directly from the FEMA website. The Township will be submitting a Letter of Intent to Ocean County by 3/22/13 (extended from the previous deadline of 2/8/2013), as required by FEMA advising the County, State Office of Emergency Management, and FEMA, of the Townshipâ€™s intent to participate in the program. If homeowners wish to participate in the program, they are advised to complete the form on this web page and include ALL of the required information by 3/15/13 (extended from previous deadline of 2/5/2013). Once complete and accepted the form will be automatically sent to the appropriate program managers. Prior to completing the form, homeowners need to be aware of the following:
- This is a â€œcompetitiveâ€ program and funds for the entire program will be limited to a statewide maximum amount which has not yet been determined. No criteria has been established thus far to determine funding priorities either. There is no individual maximum amount you can apply for; however, the reality is that funding will be limited for the program and it is likely that a large percentage of residents will not be able to receive funding once the funds run out statewide. In spite of that fact, we are urging all interested homeowners to apply.
- For homeowners considering raising their homes, FEMA has advised that, in order to qualify, you would have to raise your home to the base flood elevation (BFE) shown in the FEMA â€œAdvisoryâ€ Base Flood Elevation maps issued in December of 2102, regardless of whether those elevations ultimately changed or not if the maps are revised
- Under the current FEMA guidelines, funds are NOT available for demolition/rebuilding of homes.
- Under the current FEMA guidelines, property owners are NOT eligible for reimbursement for work already performed. Approval must be granted in advance of any construction.
- Under the program guidelines, grants are limited to 75% and homeowners will be responsible for a 25% match. You are eligible to apply for funding even if you received assistance under the FEMA National Flood Insurance Program and funds received under the ICC program CAN be used as part of the required match.
- Assistance under this program is NOT limited to your primary residence.
- FEMA has not set a definitive timeframe for the program. All that is known thus far is that the Township must submit a letter of Intent by March 22, 2013, to the Ocean County Office of Emergency Management and that information will, in turn, be submitted to the State Office of Emergency Management for formal submittal to FEMA. Based on what we have been told, it is likely that it will be 6 months before funds are available. The Township will update the schedule as it becomes known to us.
If you are a property owner in the Township of Barnegat who suffered property damage as a result of Superstorm Sandy, please complete the FEMA Hazard Mitigation Form below. Your response will be sent to the Township of Barnegat Municipal Clerk’s Office.[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]